Originally Posted by stumpy
"Shut down causing more damage than the disease". Yep, people losing money and things versus people losing their lives. I know what I would call the biggest damage.

We have no way of knowing how many lives that would have been lost to the illness, were saved as a result of the shut down. No way of knowing how many of the large percentage who died with comorbidity issues wouldn't have died anyway.

Do you know how many will be lost because of the shutdown, stay at home orders, and subsequent destruction of jobs and businesses? Not just the shutdown, but the extension of the shutdown way beyond what was really needed? Suicide, lost businesses, jobs, homes, marriages, physical & mental health, sobriety? Plenty of people have lost their lives, but didn't die from COVID.

People could have weathered weeks and understood why it was done. But months? With the BS coming out of these governors offices?

The only thing I can figure is some people are getting UI or are retired with a pension and/or SS, have a nice sock or some source of money while this is going on. It's easy to scold people when you didn't all of a sudden lose your ability to make money, but didn't lose the bills, the mortgage, the insurance, the need to feed yourself and take care of a family if you need to do that. Then trying to hang onto a business as well with it's own expenses.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.