Originally Posted by hooziewhatsit
Originally Posted by Jjs72D
Originally Posted by nss guy
I would like to see the number of all deaths in the US no mater the cause for April 2019 vs April 2020. I think this would give a more accurate picture of what impact Covid-19 has had.

Excellent idea. My suspicion is that the overall death count will be less this year as compared to 2019.

ehh, I'm not so sure.

CDC deaths/excess deaths charts:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

So based on reading how the CDC came up with that chart for this year, it's basically weighted guesswork, based on all the other inaccurate numbers reported this year. Real numbers are not going to be anywhere near as high as that chart shows in the end, if they use accurate numbers (assuming they ever get any)...

For one... if the numbers shown in that chart ARE anywhere close to being accurate, then covid deaths would be in the 100's of thousands already. Look at the 2018 figures when flu/pneumonia killed between 60-80k by this time... and compare it to this year when flu/pneumonia already killed 24k, and was projected to hit 60k when the CDC decided to stop counting, plus 100k covid(they say) that roughly 45-50k difference... Yet 2018 was a normal year... with normal traffic deaths & average murder rates. While official counts won't be available for 2 or 3 yrs... every news report I've seen says so far murder rates Feb-May are way down. Even the gangs aren't killing each other as often, and traffic deaths are virtually non-existent, since no one was driving in March & April...(So far so, that car Insurance Companies are actually giving people money BACK) I'm sure people are still dying of natural causes (heart attack/stoke/old age/falls)... but accidental deaths from Factories, Construction & Elective Surgeries are going to be way down, because most factories & construction stopped, and there have been no Elective Surgeries for 2+months.... So Covid would have to be making up for all of those normal expected deaths.... PLUS virus deaths to get the big increase it is showing... I'm not buying it.

Although I'm sure suicides are going to start ramping up in April-June... as people who have lost it all because of our Governors mismanagement over lock-down rules, throw in the towel. (My wife's bummed because she stopped by the strip mall where she gets her nails done, to see if there was a reopening date posed, and instead found the place cleaned out, and some guys inside removing all the chairs & tables) We are starting to see various forms of signs on a lot of small businesses in the area, that state things like "Thank you for you business, but we are closed for good" or "After XXyrs We're Done" or " tsk You Wolf"... It's sad and was completely unnecessary. The elderly could have been protected(almost everyone did it better than NY, PA, NJ & MI) without destroying the State's economy completely...

twocents