As I don't believe we can wind back the clock to how the pandemic was addressed outside our borders so look to where we (us) began.
Some of what I present is my feelings, the questions are sincere.
More info is needed to know the 5 w's on the prep and then the gathering of intel and formation and implementation of action plan.
Early on I felt it odd to allow cruise ships berth in two busy harbors. (SF and iirc Florida).
I feel current leadership team(s) were in place long enough to embrace responsibility of response plan. To cast years backward appears derelict.
The above is so muddied I don't know how we will ever know what happened. It's done.
Our system provides or restricts budget (congress appropriations to cabinets). The first two years were conducive to getting whatever was needed. I'm unaware of any pandemic prep or budget requests that were turned down. We were truly blindsided.
With hind sight, once the pandemic was realized, I believe the federal gov should have developed guidance that the states could have modeled from.
There is an air of retribution in acquisition and distribution of ppe. What really happened when orders were placed? That seems now to be resolved, barring a large up swell in cases.
Are the scientists working on the public behalf censored?
Is the flux in govt structure of the team, response and organization due to qualifications or adversarial.
Is the pandemic being addressed, or is it being managed?

I think we can all agree that little was known about this virus, we are on an educational crash course. Much of what we thought early on is changing with more case study and perhaps virus mutation that changes the target. I imagine much apprehension exists in the decision makers about the reopening trade off of lives/financial fallout.
I came across an article that may dispel some of the early assumptions of patient/victim type. It's a work in progress and now identifies different indications of risk factors thus:

Heart disease and hypertension
Smoking
Blood type
Obesity
Genetic factors

https://www.livescience.com/why-covid-19-coronavirus-deadly-for-some-people.html