What keeps nagging me is all the virus research (hepatitis, HIV, Sars) until recently, or maybe still, fail to eradicate the infection from the host. I recall living in fear every time I underwent chemo, as my blood counts went to zero taking away immunity I took anti virals and anti bacterial agents. iirc there are these T cells that do battle and after I was done with my stem cell transplant there was a blood component called CD4 that had to get up to some value affording me the ability to walk down the street and not run away from babys and be super anal about cleanliness (really been helping me recently). In fact guys, whens the last time you wiped down the buckle end and tail end of your belts with alcohol or washed your hands after ordering a meal at a restaurant (remember that?). After awhile I had to have all my baby shots again and even a few new ones for shingles etc.
Seems our bodies do not make certain antibodies, unless we get the illness and we live through the infection, OR a vaccine is cooked up to give us immunity. Best results are to have vaccines before illness sets in. Vaccines are not medicine.
This virus is no different than any other viral disease. All the medicine in the world will not stop the virus, it will only help the host become more comfortable as the virus ravages their body. I liken this to adding octane boosters to fuel when all the patient needs is lead.
Much research is currently being done on Broad Spectrum Antiviral Agents that are safe to use on humans.
It's going to take time and this virus will keep popping it's ugly head up until a vaccine arrives.