https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/pdf/covidview-05-01-2020.pdf
Page 10 is a graph that shows two times ('18 and this year) an abnormal? jump above seasonal averages.
The footnote of the graph clearly outlines data needs to be reported.
Do you suppose there is a standardized method being used by all reporting agencies?
One can easily discern that there is currently no way to pin down a precise number, or even within a margin adequate for anyone to really know what is recently amassing.
Since I'm not being graded, or paid to produce links to information the cdc and nchs are two government sites that have recent, but not current data. It's the best data they provide us. I also use regional info and some education websites to satisfy my curiosity about what is actually happening. I abhor any news outlets, other than to get a "heads up on leads". I've found it interesting than there are many, everywhere, whom gravitate to the extremes.
I'd be willing to bet that we will be seeing an increase of infections, and even perhaps an increase in younger populations having more life threatening symptoms within weeks of relaxed distancing measures. This, because the sheer number of total infections provide a greater chance of mutations (no link, but true in virology thus: Phenotypic Variation by Mutations- Mutations can produce viruses with new antigenic determinants. The appearance of an antigenically novel virus through mutation is called antigenic drift. Antigenically altered viruses may be able to cause disease in previously resistant immune hosts). While I'm not a proponent of maintaining a perpetual social vacation, releasing the herd will leave us chasing the cures (vaccine and or treatment) for a longer period of time. So, where is the middle ground? De we keep all seniors locked up and allow the 18 to 49 group back to social petri dish? What happens if infants and toddlers begin experencing severe manifestations?