Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy
Originally Posted by PhillyRag
At this point, I'd rather get the virus and take my chances, than deal with this crap for the next couple of years. 12 to 18 months before people can go to an event - church, sports, concerts, etc. - in Illinois? Not going to happen. People will riot first.

Kudos! A 2-4 week, maybe bed-ridden, sickness (for some) OR a 1>1-1/2 year long tormenting uncertainty (for all)? We'll never "contain" this within the US, without locking down state-to-state travel (i.e Hot-Cold Spots). An unlikely & very un american process to even consider. Country-to-Country maybe. But the Airline & Travel industry to fight either tooth&nail. Flattening the curve will just morph into Thinning the herd, as this eventually threads it's way to ALL areas of the country.

I say be careful what you wish for.

But... if this is really how you feel, it seems to me that catching the virus should be easier than not catching it. Why not help out some front line workers, which would be doing them a great favour, then if you catch it... win-win situation. shruggy

You want to be "safe". You can stay home. I don't care.

But I want to go to the race track and watch racing being live streamed. Because it is plain to see, IF WE DON'T GET GOING VERY SOON, MUCH OF IT WILL BE GONE WHEN THEY FINALLY ALLOW US TO GO BACK. GONE FOR GOOD.

Maybe you're OK with sitting home watching Seinfeld reruns with the blinds drawn while "social distancing". But that doesn't accomplish anything or pay the bills. Or allow people who have more interesting things to do to live a decent life.

Hey, don't bark at me. If people are going to say they'd just rather get the virus, then why not do some good and help out the people who really need it? Don't get me wrong, I really really feel the pain for those who have lost a lot in this situation. I'm one of the lucky ones who still have a job, though we have had to take involuntary days off resulting in a 20% pay cut. There's a lot of nasty crap going on out there surrounding the virus, lots of elephant vs donkey crap that doesn't help anything either. The thing about it is that this really is a nasty virus, and it has affected the entire human population on the planet, regardless of political affiliations or whatever theories they hold about whatever conspiracies must be happening... lots of countries have put their economies into the toilet over this, so commons sense tells me that this is something to pay attention to - no politician wants to look bad by having their economy suffer, so why are we still thinking that this is some sort of plan made up by 'the other party'? Seems kind of ridiculous to me.

What perplexes me is that, while I understand that people are upset that they can't race their car or whatever, it's not going to go away unless we want it to. Racing happens in the first place because people want to do it, and others will pay to watch it - pausing for a while to help the most vulnerable people maintain their health isn't going to kill racing, unless it was going to die on its own anyhow. For that matter even if it did, it would resurface in some form or another. So why are we panicking that it will all go away? If we don't all die off (we won't), then we will come out of this thing stronger than ever and we will work hard to do the things we believe in, and the things we enjoy - that's the way it works. We don't have to go all Chicken Little and fear that the sky will fall and it will never be good again.

For some reason you automatically assume that I'm some kind of a nutjob that is cowering in a corner, afraid of life. It blows my mind that some of you don't think for a moment that maybe it makes sense to just lay low for awhile and try to understand what's happening out there. If not for yourself, then maybe for someone you know who has health issues... but no, we're all just sitting shivering in the corner with the blinds drawn watching Seinfeld (which was a good show, by the way...). I'm keeping abreast of what's going on, listening to the health experts (and not the politicians), trying to figure it out for myself and making decisions that are best for me. If you want to do what's best for you, I suggest you just go ahead and do it - or hang on for a little while longer and you will soon have free reign to do so. Stick your head up out of the hole, and have a look around - things are opening up all over the place. Hopefully it continues like that, but if tons of people start dying again, then maybe things will slow down, I don't know as I have never lived through anything like this before in my life - which is why I am not going to assume that I know everything. I don't... and neither do you.

We're all in this together, trying to figure it out, so why not try to be a little more positive about it? We need to get back that spirit that got us here in the first place, and stop all the bickering once and for all. Enough.