Originally Posted by mother hen
Originally Posted by jcc
[quote=mother hen]..someone got the models wrong....again we know the risk groups so let's keep them safe.

No, someone doesn't understand what a model is and isn't.

Who?....Faucci?....Redfield?....CNN?.....no need to be officious. a model is a concept so they can be neither right or wrong. I think someone PICKED the wrong model. Looking backwards a model can be assigned a value. In today's world those models have the value of being wrong. You do not govern a country with a hypothesis. California ran on a model that showed upwards of 25 million positives case. That's insane. i am not diminishing the virus, it is out there and poses a serious threat to the elderly with complications. But this country is ready to get out. Amazing how the Michigan governor is giving the swing state to trump. And Wisconsin. A few others also.

I quoted a source with a link of what a reasonable description of what a (scientific) model is. Not sure they are classified in words as yours "right or wrong", I know that is not what everybody wants, like exactness, winners or losers, etc. But that ain't reality.

Here is my quote again:

"In science, a model is a representation of an idea, an object or even a process or a system that is used to describe and explain phenomena that cannot be experienced directly. Models are central to what scientists do, both in their research as well as when communicating their explanations.

Models have a variety of uses – from providing a way of explaining complex data to presenting as a hypothesis. There may be more than one model proposed by scientists to explain or predict what might happen in particular circumstances. Often scientists will argue about the ‘rightness’ of their model, and in the process, the model will evolve or be rejected. Consequently, models are central to the process of knowledge-building in science and demonstrate how science knowledge is tentative."

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.