Originally Posted by Runner2go
Originally Posted by DirectSubjection
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Originally Posted by AndyF
Yes that does seem to be what is going on. Canada says 80% of their virus deaths are from nursing homes. I think in the USA it is around 40%. Here in Oregon almost every person who has died has been older than 60.

In Pennsylvania, the average age of death in general pre-COVID is 78.5. The average age of persons dying attributed to COVID is 79. The percentage of people dying of COVID who are in nursing homes is 70%. That means the number of people who have died in the state being attributed to COVID and not being in a nursing home is under 1400 in the state with a population of 12,500,000. .

At least 50% in New Jersey - fact

Some interesting numbers out of PA... they really make you wonder why the State was shut down.
Nursing home deaths just a tick under 70% of the total...
That is an eye opening number and rests solely on the Governors shoulders for following NY's lead... frown
But it does not tell how skewed it really is towards the old & largely retired population...

Under 45yrs old = 33 deaths ... in the WHOLE STATE of 12.5million+
Under 50yrs old = 70 deaths
Under 60yrs old = 307 deaths TOTAL << 307 primary working age people in the whole state.
Under 80yrs old = 1868 deaths << this adds in many still working 60-70, + 70-80 mostly retirees
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
80yrs old to 85yrs old = 350+/- deaths in this age bracket, est...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over 85yrs old = 1979 deaths TOTAL
Over 95yrs old = 411 deaths
Over 100yrs old = 70 deaths << (I didn't even realize we had that many at 100+)

As stated above, we have a state of 12.5million & just 307 people under 60 died from Covid... More died from Flu/Pneumonia this year in the state... before they reclassified all the pneumonia cases as "probable covid". But PA closed businesses,(many for good) shut down the entire State, and kept working age people at home for Covid... Even though it had little effect on the age group containing the majority of workers, when compared to the Flu. The response clearly should have been more targeted... maybe every one over 55 stays home, and collects the bonus unemployment check and $1200 Gov check. Everyone else goes to work and tries to keep the local economy alive.

Now the governor of NJ (Murphy) says he is not going to fully open up the State until there is a Vaccine.
Glad I don't live, or own a business in NJ... (I thought PA was bad enough)

"I got my rights"

Why am I ordered to wear a seat belt? Less then 40,000 people die in a single year in the US in traffic accidents.
Highest percentage age group to die is old people.
I don't want to waste time every time I drive putting it on and taking it off.
What next, a law saying I have to flush the toilet?
This becoming a nanny state. rant
eyes

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.