Sorry to hear about your Mom, certainly there is no road map for life. Hoping things get better for your family.

On catching COVID, it seems to me:
1. To a large degree, medical profession with relatively extreme protection methods, rarely catches the virus.
2. The public, using NYC as an example, when in weeks long "shelter in place", is still getting infected.
3. On the Cruise ships, when everyone was confined to their cabins, still weeks later were getting infected.

My first unproven conclusions based on above:

A. COIVID is indeed highly infectious ( we already know that)
B. IN NYC, "shelter in Place" is not being diligently observed, or there is another infectious pathway "shelter in Place" does not by itself provide adequate isolation for
C. Cruise ships are same as "B"

My suspicion, "shelter in place" in NYC really means "Most of the time" or "OK to violate if you don't get caught", or the outside wind driven air ( now that 6' distance is said to be arbitrary and 26'(?) is a more accurate number) on balcony' provides little infectious isolation in NYC type settings (Italy nighttime daily serenades comes to mind) and/or cruise ships, or something else. These continuing infections, albeit being somewhat reduced over time, shouldn't happen at all if "shelter in place" was adequate, and it appears not be, if all transmission is desired to be stopped, a more worthy goal then just "flattening the curve" at this point.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.