Originally Posted by DaveRS23
The average healthy middle aged person has a minuscule chance of dying from this virus. By minuscule, I mean .0something. And you want that person to risk loosing all that he has worked for, possibly for years, to protect someone else. Someone whose lifestyle may have contributed to their personal vulnerability. Someone, whom if they do what they are told, and quarantine themselves, should not be dependent on someone else's actions.

People should take responsibility for their own health and safety. Especially the most vulnerable of us. My own father is 91 and in a nursing home. I have seen him once in two months. At a distance. That is difficult, but very necessary. He and his facility must be protected from this infection for obvious reasons. But that means quarantining them, not the rest of us.

For someone half his age and in good health, being locked away does little to nothing for them. And more and more indications are that lock downs do little for the rates of infections across large areas. Targeted quarantines appear to be much more effective.

So destroying a person's financial health may do nothing for the health of the world at large.

We have a better idea of that now that we have more data. Initially the information we had was that it was highly infectious, and had a ~3% death rate. Those aren't numbers that we look at and say "hopefully it won't be that bad here". We do something about it, then re-evaluate when we have better numbers. Otherwise we have an even bigger pile of dead people that could have been prevented.

We do need to open up, but we also need people to stop being morons and wear masks in public. Or at least stop equating wearing masks with tyranny laugh2 (no shoes, no shirt, no service, no problem. No mask, no service but MUH RIGHTS catfight )

And just because younger people are surviving, doesn't mean they're thriving after a serious case, or that there won't be lifelong health effects from it. An anecdote from a different forum; this guys grandpa got the flu in 1918. It damaged his lungs such that for the rest of his life he couldn't do any strenuous work or exercise. That sucks.

Last edited by hooziewhatsit; 05/26/20 04:13 PM.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.