I appreciate to see meaningful exchange. Knowing there are many ways to get through this there are a few things we do know about the virus and how we got here. I wonder if we have the best possible (a'la dream team) working on on our behalf. Our government is in flux pared down with many positions vacated, replaced, and void of experience. The country is bigger than the biggest businesses, we all own a stake and as an owner I'm concerned.
Ever think how much ford was awarded to produce 50,000 ventilators in 100 days and GM gets a $490m for ventilators. How many will we ultimately need? Seems many thought we would need many, many. Who made the original projections and did sheltering substantially reduce the amount of ventilators needed?
We seem to have bought into drug therapy that many medical reports and patient outcome say was fruitless.
The virus will run it's course taking many more. If we relax and return to the ways of old the virus will resurge. Perhaps we need to relax, but with a new model. Reduce capacity of restaurants, theaters, busses, airplanes, etc., anywhere people are in close proximity. The tough thing will be to stop people that are sick from going out into public places.
It is ironic you mention supply chain. I think the first place we as a country should look is our food supply. It could be tragic to have our food supply interrupted. Had the virus taken off 3 months earlier, and if field workers were infected we'd be in a very different situation right now. As it is I feel pretty certain with good planning and vision we can recover. The thing we as a people need to start thinking of is what is important. How do the citizenry use their power to get back quality goods and get rid of design obsolescence. Probably a good time to start thinking about how did we get into the situation of contracts for phones, tv, etc. Bare cupboards seem the norm, at homes, and also in our agencies.