Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
.......China.........

Unfortunately, many to most americans have no nationalism (in a economic way). They seek out the cheap.
In defense of cheap manufacturing, remember all the lithograph stamped steel toys from post war germany and japan? They rebuilt their countries by making cheap disposable products for export for the pleasure of those with money. It's not beyond reality for cheap manufacturing to still produce low number runs of expensive hard to manufacture parts. It's when corporate policies (sustained quarterly profits) and desire to make more of the most basic items that problems occur. Once there is no more meat on the bone the the parts are cheapened and designed in obsolescence are incorporated (to generate replacement purchases by consumers) do we cry foul about the cheap chinese crap. It's up to the owner of the items being manufactured to specify and then do their quality control. The gig is the importers wanting junk to sell to us to take our money.
Once we totally alienate china and charge high enough tariffs (have the consumer pay more for the same cheap junk) will the next (africa) cheap labor force be sought. There is little chance (unless wages and benefits are decreased) will we see manufacturing return to us. Catchy slogans and all can not fix what ails our great country. We are becoming Metropolis.
As a post-script I'd like it clear that I for most of my adult life and to this day look at labels and refrain from buying anything made outside us when possible. Not as an attack on foreign peoples but for supporting our workers and living as I feel is right. Our house if full of old, antique, rebuilt, repurposed furniture and items, most appliances are unfortunately foreign (not light fixtures or some items). This, because it is difficult to find many items made here and at least when I buy from shops, yard sales, craigslist,..., I'm spending money here and supporting my neighbors.