In another post menber Feets said he tested positive with only slight symptoms weeks ago and only recently received test results due to contact info error. He mentioned he was respectful to his elderly folks and I assume others even though he did not know.
I know some people stay home when they are sick, and we all have worked with people who come to work or events sick (and can spread whatever they have).
I feel the numbers of ill/deaths would have been reduced had people known there was an illness about early on, and everyone had been respectful of sequestering themselves. Throwing a wet blanket over society to squelch out the virus spread is a common process much like having rules like speed limits. i.e. 85% of people drive a speed that is reasonable and prudent, and 15% exceed. Unfortunately a higher % of sick people do not stay home and mix with society, we see them all the time. Throw in asymptomatic, or slight symptom people that unknowingly spread the virus and this is why there is a societal problem of indescriminate spread.
Again without widespread or even universal testing we will never know when it will be appropriate to safely lift restrictions. Right now society seems poised as a medical experiment.