Originally Posted by BH27G1B
As we approach Memorial Day and honor the brave men/women that fought to defend our rights and freedom, I wonder what they would think about what is going on, from pompous judges trying to deny hard working peoples right to feed their family to the ignorance of releasing criminals, among other things. Our veterans worked together to defeat the enemy, and I know who I would want beside me in battle.

You raise a very good point.

I think back about the men and women who are/were part of the "Greatest Generation"--those who had a sense of duty to live by the ideals laid down by our Founding Fathers and fight the oppressive regimes that were threatening the order of Europe and possibly the world. These folks, along with the "Silent Generation," had just endured the Great Depression full of economic and social mayhem.

These folks were "all in" with the war effort. Their sense of duty meant sacrifice, like rationing sugar, gas, tires, food and ingredients, and more. The speed limit was lowered in order to save gas--maybe they'd arrive at their destination a little later but they'd still arrive there with a smile because of their sense of duty.

No, those weren't perfect times--ask anyone of Japanese descent, or the African-Americans who fought to defend freedom but discovered upon returning home that the values espoused by the American flag didn't include them. But the sense of duty was there.

You won't find that today, even though many people were borne from those of the Greatest Generation. Anyone with a 110 IQ and a keyboard seemingly has it all figured out. On social media they will post about their expertise on vaccines, 5g, Bill Gates, #FauciFraud, "plandemic," and what-not. Then they're egged on by people in high places who seem to want to bear no leadership role yet make every attempt to sow the seeds of discontent via drama and friggery.

That's why I can't help but regard protests, etc. with anything but disgust. These idiotic @#$ers (without masks, no less) think their individual right to a hair cut supersedes the need to protect society from a virus that we understand little about. It reminds me of the people who don't wear seatbelts because "I don't want to be stuck and bound in my car after an accident" without thinking that, without a seatbelt, they may be rendered into a pile of hair and blood. They film themselves going to supermarkets (again, without masks), putting the video online to show how selfish they are while demonstrating they don't really know @#$ about the Constitution, if not basic common sense. And, of course, there is no sense of duty.

In fact, they're a slap in the face of the spirit of America, a country whose gumption and ingenuity has contributed to innumerable inventions both past and present (including many vaccines). While these @#$ers go out and spread their idiocy for the rest of the world to watch, other Americans are at home using the pandemic as an opportunity--an opportunity to develop ideas, inventions, etc. because bitching about being laid off and how the economy sucks does no one favors.....but following one's passions prepares oneself for a future once the pandemic is over (if not before).

So why are we celebrating a race to the bottom instead of exploiting what makes us great?