Originally Posted by CMcAllister
I like how people like to compare the US to these small countries with largely homogeneous societies, restricted immigration, no real criminal underclass, a generally benevolent government and strict controls over their borders. Being an island helps. Comparing the US to New Zealand is like comparing metro NYC to the two small counties in central PA where I live and operate.

"A well-known journalist here once wrote a book about New Zealand called “The passionless people.” It was meant to be a withering critique of the national character: indifferent, unemotional, complacent. Be that as it may, now, in the midst of a major crisis, a certain calmness seems to have served New Zealanders well."

Americans are not New Zealanders, just as New Yorkers are very different from my neighbors.

New Zealand was shutdown as well. Everyone went along, and when it was deemed safe, they opened back up. No dragging it out. No big production. No groups of people wanting it to go on indefinitely, Seemingly no one trying to gain wealth, fame and/or influence from the crisis. Maybe they even have an honest news media. A very different place.

Some folks use Norway to bash the US as well. Just saying.

Whoever wrote that book has obviously never squared off against a Kiwi in any type of competitive sport.

Kevin