Originally Posted by srt
I've been sequestered at home with my wife because of her knee replacement in erly feb, and am glad I have.
I've finally talked sense to three of our adult children, while the other two (smokers) continue throw caution to the wind.
As I understand from reading and talking with two doctors is the virus effects ones lungs. Reduced lung capacity and scarring are the immediate effect and residual diminished lung capacity may likely be the toll on any individual. Effects seem to balance on the condition of ones lungs going into an infection.
Lets all be safe and considerate of others. Taking an attitude of "young enough" may cost one their life. I'll respect the experts and hope a majority of us get through this.
Let's also hope it was not created in some lab to be a super bug. Whatever it is, it appears to be widespread and well rooted in the populace. How the heck did that happe? Humanity has been forever changed, we will wake up tomorrow and this will be worse. It's real and frankly it's scary. I have not yet wrapped my head around economic effects and can only think dark thoughts on that.
I hope with additional tests there may be a way to corral hot spots to give science time to develop a vaccine. That is the best for now.

The following is from a doctor friend of mine in NY - just got this this AM:

Eric,

That is so funny but true!

So in response to a few emails ago- yes remdesrivir may have activity against this virus- and I am certain it will be tried in sicker patients.

There are a few other drugs that may be effective as well- at least in mitigating some of the symptoms.

In addition- the first human test patient will be vaccinated today. This is unbelievable. Talk about red tape being eliminated. They went from isolating the protein structure of this to making a vaccine to be tested in under 4 months. It will be limited- but I imagine will be widespread by the late fall/early winter at this pace.

Stay safe!

Jim

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified