Hooziewhatit and I are (un)fortunately Jeffersonians (the vote didn't stick) living in a sparsely populated area on nor-cal/so or. We've been relatively safe undoubtedly because of low population and a lifestyle void of malls, large entertainment venues, and a lifestyle where concentrated social activity is not the norm. We will be tasked with participating in the care and monetary needs as is the balance of society. This pandemic has created a two headed monster, we're damed either way we deal with it. I think it's not time well spent discussing opening or not. At some point people will (are) pressing forward. Yesterday was a real life "Black Friday" How many are going to be crushed (or, simply get ill) by being among the first to "rejoin" society. Those that become ill may be filling precious beds and having tubes jammed down their throats.
We will be incurring additional cost as society jump starts, or if we leave the doors shut. This will happen down the road as the dust settles and bills are paid, or magical free money is deposited. I am trying to look at this with a realist eye when I say society has to take a hard look at what is truly essential and what is needed to survive. We recurrently money to institutions, corporations and businesses with little regard as to if they will be "essential" 6 months from now. Perhaps it's time has come? So many businesses do not save for a rainy day, the dividends flow. The rainy day has come and we have no choice but to save them?