Originally Posted by jcc
Any serious ideas?

I believe I would re-inject it into the local economy. THink about the locally owned mom and pop stores, especially the ones where you see the owner behind the counter. Doing so will help them get through these tough times.
I am thinking of hiring independent licensed contractors to help with some small projects I have on the board (outside the house only).
I have not thought much about the "tax relief". Last time I stuck it in the bank because it was not free money, rather a defer of tax paid during the year and either deducted from your refund or included in your check back to the tax man the following April.
With that in view, don't look at anything as a windfall or gift, spend it where you would ordinarily spend, or if sympathetic to community members support a business as above.
Another way to help is check with locally based charities and find one you are comfortable with. One I've been thinking of is hospice. Cancer has no bounds and the workers that help families through dark times need protection. Many volunteer thrift stores fund hospice activities and should their doors be shuttered, they need $ to help.