HI everyone. I've been reading the entire thread over the past month. I came here from a thread on stangnet. I want to do this on my 69 mustang coupe once I finish all the body work and modifications. My car has been sitting in primer for more than a decade (I hate to admit it). I've wondered before about using industrial enamel from tractor supply or similar to paint my car. I've painted a car with a spray gun, my 81 2wd LUV custom truck and helped a friend spray his 72 chevelle so I'm familiar with painting cars. I had macco repair and paint my 79 mustang and was pretty ticked about the entire result to put it mildly. I could have done better blindfolded. More recently my DD, an 00 ZX2, was repaired and painted twice from two seperate accidents by ford dealers. The quality was less than some of the results seen on this thread. All that said, my 69 will be my DD when its finished and I will not hesitate to drive it when and where I want knowing I won't be spazzing over damaging a 5K paint job. Hats off to all you pioneers who dare to defy the critics!

I'm looking for the same color as Chris on that GTO or the dark red on the new mustangs. I did check out Rustolem's High performance line industrial enamel (7400 system). They have a dark red (Fire Hydrant Red #1210402) and a clear (717402) for those who are interested. They come in gallons and are available through a couple of vendors at work. I'm on the fence about the clear.

Rustoleum 7400 System Enamel

I wanted to comment on a couple of things. 1 POR 15, I've used it on my son's jeep after welding up the floors. I sprayed over it with primer before it cured which is what they recommend. 2 Aluminum, remember to use zinc chromate primer over aluminum and you shouldn't have any adhesion issues with paint. Cobra and kit car forums may be helpful in that area.

Freedom Of Speed!