I'll get the formalities out of the way:
I came here from another board (chevy trucks).
I have a 65 C10 that is in dire need of a paint job, and I've read the entire 2 threads on this. I think this is the way to go for me.

I've enjoyed the reading this past week, several times I lost track of time, and crawled into bed REALLY late.

I decided to do some leg work yesterday.
Sherwin Williams has a rust paint that they can tint to any color. Ace hardware has one that they can tint to about 40 colors. Ace also has 100% mineral spirits.

But after reading about the marine poly paints, my next trip was to have been to west marine to see what they had in stock, until my googling turned up this paint:
Top Secret 1-Part Epoxy (TS-100)

Excepts from the website:
Quote:

Looking for something more durable than Gel-Coat, easier to use than a two-component epoxy and less hazardous than an aliphatic urethane? Is a single component Direct To Metal coating (DTM) on your wish list? Have you been praying for a durable environmentally friendly marine coating? Does a bargain sound good? If you answered yes to any of these questions you came to the right place because this innovative approach rewrites the book on epoxy. That’s right, TS-100 1 Part Epoxy won’t chalk, fade or yellow like two component epoxy and it won’t spider-web like Gel-Coat making it a favorite in rust preventative paint and marine restoration applications. Now you can use our exclusive 1 Part Epoxy in your direct to metal paint applications safely and economically without the need* for primer in many instances...
... Available in 200 stock marine paint colors. Custom colors available on request for an additional $5.00 per gallon. Available in quart, gallon and five gallon containers

$29/Qt, $84/Gal

The amazing thing is the stock color selection. the website shows 100+ but the text says 200.. geez!

Color Chart

What do you guys think?

edit- added lnk to color chart, and found some fine print:
Stock colors are limited to white, light gray, dark gray, sand, moss green, tile red and norse blue. All other colors are considered "custom colors".

Last edited by Tony Counts; 03/18/07 06:43 PM.