First post but I've been reading this thread for awhile. Painted my 83 Isuzu Imark this way & very happy with the results. My first coats were too heavy & the paint was too thick so it had runs & orange peel. I wetsanded it back & fixed some newly discovered dings that weren't evident before as the original paint was dead & flat as primer.

I found the white roller pads worked better than the yellow. White 1's are denser & therefor heavier/ less compressable. Haven't done a 1500 colorsand & buff yet and there is orange peel but total cost is less than $75. I have lots of detail/buffing exp & will borrow a buffer from the last dealership I worked at when I do. (It's nice to stay friends with them). I used Rustoleum Stops Rust Smoke Gray & did the jambs, hood/trunk edges with a rattle can.

What is the latest mindset on clear over Rustoleum after buffing? I'm hoping to buff up an acceptable shine without using it in case future fixes are ever needed.

Here's a look after 2 properly thinned coats before wetsanding. Shine is evident but bondo spots still show thru. Also shows the 2 kinds of pads I tried. The white ones are Shur-Line brand I got at Sears.

Here she is reassembled -