Quote:

Chuck,

I agree with your interpertation of the orange peel on Marq's car (look at drivers side front pic). I haven't fully tested this method myself, but am quite worried about your results. Maybee a hardener can be added so the paint could be sanded properly. Seems like most are ignoring or hoping what you have said isn't true for them. Sometimes it also seems like we are getting snowed over by a couple of Tremclad employees/marketers.

I'm a little worried about this method as well because of the orange peel everyone is experiencing and labeling as "Flat as Glass". If it were a spray job, I would demand my money back becuase that much orange peel is unacceptable. The only "Flat as Glass" results I have seen yet are Jeff's and Admactanium's (*sp). It is discouraging when you hear its going on "Flat as glass" and "looks like a mirror" but then you see pics after and its not.

I'm not trying to knock anyone here. I guess what I have realised is that everyone sees something different and everyones expectations are different.

If I have time this weekend, I will try to get some hardener and see if it changes anything. As of right now, the majority of results are too discouraging to apply to a daily driver, maybee a beater.

Ok people, time to prove me wrong here (I want this method to work). Lets see some clear pictures without the orange peel. Take 2 pictures: Picture 1, 1-2 feet away, straight on or slight angle and in the shade. Picture 2, same distance, but on an angle reflecting a straight line in the background (close to the car, 4 feet away or so).

Love it or Hate it; it had to be said!

Smite

Smite, I don't think orange peel is the problem here. Several people have refined their technique and are avoiding orange peel altogether since they are now putting on thin coats. If orange peel is your problem, reread the posts and see how people have put on thinner coats. Here's a pic. There is probably SOME orange peel here, but it's certainly not enough to notice or to care about. [edit: by the way, I see now one of my dogs decided to make a cameo in the picture]

The problem in my eyes is that it seems easy to scratch, perhaps until it has a long time to cure. And maybe it's not a problem after all if it does end up being rock hard eventually.

Last edited by Exit1965; 06/15/06 02:13 PM.