Quote:

Marq- forgive me if you mentioned it before, but have you investigated the 2 part Interlux paint, Perfection? It hardens chemically, and can be rolled and tipped on just like brightside. But is more durable and probably shines up like a hardened single stage car paint.

The two part Polyurathane is definitely the superior product compared to all the paints that we have discussed. However, the only downside to it is that when you mix the two parts... the clock begins on how long you have to apply and work it. I am guessing that the 2nd part is a catalyst that accelerates chemically the hardening of the paint. My biggest single fear of an inexperience person attempting to 'roll and tip' it is that the paint would not be so forgiving timewise while you are applying it. It will probably 'set up' too fast for most folks to do a good job with. The advantage of the thinned Tremclad/Rustoleum or even Brightside is that you are buying yourself extra working time before the paint locks up and becomes unworkable. IDEALLY the two part polyurathane would be a great candidate for spraying. I believe that is where it would shine and is probably best suited. However, it is particularly NASTY to spray because of the chemicals it releases into the air.

Because YOU have done so many roll ons to your car, you may one of the few people who might be able to successfully pull off a two stage roll on paint job. It is only your experience in doing roll ons that puts you in that exclusive group of folks who 'might and probably would succeed'

Quote:

By the way, I took my fingernail to the sprayed on rustoleum in my door jambs, and if I press hard enough it comes off. So I'm looking for something HARD at this point if I am going to repaint it.

Well... hardness is the key feature of the two stage polyurathane. For hardness it is probably somewhere in between a factory baked paint job and a paint shop 'baked' paint job.

Quote:

The other question is if a hardened 2 part poly would pull up the rustoleum underneath it.

Well... I can not answer that question based on any hands on experience. I can say that the Brightside polyurathane worked extremely well when I paint over the initial layers of Tremclad that I had applied. My brain seems to tell me that with the two part polyurathane... there would be no problem with the paint itself on Tremclad or Rustoleum.. BUT the probably may exist between the catalyzing agent of the 2nd part. I imagine it is like Bondo, where you add the catalyzing creme and this causes a chemical reaction with the Bondo... causing it to harden, while at the same time generating heat. It is during those initial minutes where the catalyzing is occuring that the Tremclad or Rustoleum might take offense at what is happening. If I was to guess at what would happen, I would think that it would be a massive wrinkling or elephant skin type effect... where the lower paint heaves, compresses, stretches etc and the upper coat of the two part polyurathane hardens and freezes the movement of the paint below...

Quote:

found this on a Sailing forum:
http://daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6287&sid=2a55365ad05516bb8bff5973338e3b6f

A discussion of brightside and then rustoleum (of all things!) on boats. Heck, I don't know what to do. I'll probably end up moving onto the much needed mechanical work, and see how tough the rustoleum is in a couple months where I sprayed. If it's hard I can spray the whole car, if not I can revisit the brightside or Perfection idea.

Well.. the boat guys have had the 'roll and tip' method going for them for quite a long time. So I figured there was a lot we could learn from their long collective history of information. That is what eventually lead me to settle on using Brightside in the end.

As I mentioned before in a previous message, I believe that the quality of paint job that you hope to end up with will most likely be best obtained by spraying Brightside. Oddly enough, even in the 'boaters' forums, they too also were fairly unified at declaring a sprayed Brightside paint job was always more professional looking than a 'roll and tip' Brightside paint job.