Quote:

Thanks Marq for the in depth information. I haven't tried anything yet, but I plan to do a sample first to test out my technique and all. I know winter is coming, do you think it will be safe to apply the Brightside paint in temps between 10-15 degrees celcius? I'm shooting to do this in next 2 weeks or so.

The paint manufacturer does give some 'recommended' enviromental temperature ranges for their product and recommended temperature range for the object that is being painted.

The recommended temperature ranges are based on two factors... what is the best temperature range for the paint to cure or harden ( the evaporant or carrier in the paint to evaporate at ) and the best temperature range to ensure adhesion of the paint to the object being painted.

The cooler the temperatures will result in slower curing and evaporation of the carrier. This is going to mean that you will have to wait longer between coats. What might have been 15 hours might go to waiting 48 hours or maybe even longer between coats.

The only positive thing about working in the cooler temperatures is that the paint will have a lot more time to self level as it is not rushing due to heat to cure. And maybe there will be a lot less BUGS to deal with in the cooler temperatures.

The adhesion factor is the one that would concern me the most. However, if you fall back to one of the messages that was posted by Charger... where he provided pictures on this site of his little Volks sitting in a SNOW BOUND garage, he mentioned that paint job had been rolled in the winter in his unheated garage. So if the Tremclad can be rolled in freezing temperatures than I assume the Brightside can also. The 10 to 18 degree range might almost be luxurious compared to working in snow type temperatures.

I am not so sure about spraying in the colder temperatures. As it strikes me that rolling on a wet liquid as compared to some vapor travelling through the air might have different reactions to the cooler temps.

The only thing I can say with any degree of absolute certainty is that you will have to wait longer between re-coats.