Quote:

I have noticed that using rustoleum is slightly stressful since you're on the lookout for dog hair, runs, missed spots and so forth, but with 2 brushes and a roller, and fast evaporating paint plus all of the above.. sounds like a stressful time. I would probably have my own hair falling into the paint instead of my dogs

I sit in the position of having tried both methods... ( six layers of Tremclad ) and I think I can safely say that the Brightside method was like diving in to a cool swimming pool after having walked across a scorching desert.

Oh... and I have three long hair dogs running around... plus I have to wear a painter's hat just to make sure none of my hair mysteriously drops onto the paint . Lately the biggest danger is sweat POURING off my forehead while working in these hot temperatures ( something I solved by putting a bikers bandanda across my forehead. Gawd I must look like a sight to my neighbors when I come out of the garage to take a breather...

Anyhow, I think the Brightside is definitely less stressful than the Tremclad method.

It was amazing to lay down that first layer of Brighside and see an amazingly deep and high gloss right away.

I found that the Tremclad method gave me more work and was a little more stressful trying to hit on the right mixture of mineral spirits to paint in order to keep getting consistent and repeatable results.

That is why I think it would be significant to this discussion for you to try even one test door or trunk or something with the Brightside. All the techniques that you have perfected with the Tremclad method would be directly applicable to plying some object with Brightside. So there would be no learning curve for you to make a test and give us your considered opinion of the two types of paint for this 'budget' paint job.

The toughest thing about the Tremclad method is that the high gloss results don't really happen until you have completed all your layers... and even then you have to get into perfecting the surface with the mild abrasive waxing compound and polishing it up. Whereas with the Brightside you start seeing the gloss from the first painting... and you get to watch it gain more depth and gloss with each additional layer.

So no. I think the Tremclad method was more stressful for me...

Last edited by Marq; 07/03/06 10:58 PM.