Quote:

The literature on the brightside stuff mentions using the "rolling and tipping" method for application. Is this something that has been tried with rustoluem on car applications? Is the rustoluem to thick to do that with?

Basically the 'roll and hope for the bubbles to self-pop' is where this thread all began from. As I ventured into playing around with Brightside on the car and playing with the 'tip and roll' method... I noted in this discussion that it was probably applicable as another technique that some folks could use with the Tremclad/Rustoleum where they weren't happy with the number of bubbles that were not-self-popping.

This also evolved into one of my experiments that I called a double roller technique ... using your one roller to put the paint on and a clean roller to go over what you freshly painted to level things and pop any bubbles ( changing the 2nd roller 2 or 3 times during the paint job so that your 'clean' 2nd roller never got too saturated with paint.

You would not want to use the roll and tip on a can of straight Tremclad or Rustoleum. The paint layer would be too thick and that would defeat the original reason for why you add mineral spirits to those paints... to thin it out so that it self-levels and cures quicker.

What you will notice with a can of Brightside paint is that it sloshes around in the can... because it is already 'slightly' thinned in its original state. It has the consistency of maple syrup ( or pancake syrup for those who don't use maple syrup.) Whereas the Tremclad/Rustoleum paint, in its original unthinned state hs the consistency of liquid honey ( or STP for those who don't deal with liquid honey ). With the Charger method of cutting the Tremclad/Rustoleum with mineral spirits... the consistency of that combined minxture is like milk... not as thick as cream but not as wet as water.

So the tip and roll can be done with the Charger recipe of a mixed paint and mineral spirit, because it has the wet consistency that is closer to Brightside paint.

Last edited by Marq; 09/22/06 06:16 PM.