Quote:

I think Marq had considered skipping final wetsand and going straight to polish, but I believe I still have too many faint brush marks to pull this off. I'd like to be able to skip as much wetsanding as possible, but I'm just not going to cut corners with my elbow grease!

No. At the moment I am driving the car around with its final coat of paint sitting on it. When I gear up to do the polishing and waxing chore I will probably do a double wet sanding... hit it once with a 1000 grit and the do it all again using a 2000 grit wet sand.

I will then wash the car down completely with a bucket of warm water and a dash of detergent to get any trace of wet sanding slurry of the car.

Then it will be a full rinse down with the hose to hopefully leave the body in a squeeky clean state.

I will then leave the car alone and untouched in the garage for a few days to let any newly exposed paint cure fully ( just in case the wet sanding exposed any uncured paint ).

When I am about ready to commence the polishing stage I will wipe down the entire body with a couple of fresh 'tack' cloths... to pick up any dust, bugs, hair, lint, dandruff etc that may have landed on the car since the washdown.

I'll be using the 'el cheapo' Turtle wax polish. Which we are lead to understand will be the equivalent of doing a 3000 grit wet sanding. The furniture guys oddly enough also recommend the 'el cheapo' Turtle wax polish for the big rub down... for polyurathanes. But I am also leaning strongly to the 3M Finesse It II product as the guys who have been using it on polyurathane have been getting outstanding results. ( More about that in one of the following messages ).

If Charger's calculations are correct I should be polishing for quite a few hours This is also confirmed by the furniture restoration guys who are more familiar with the polyurathane paint finishes and what it takes to creat a mirror finish on furniture.

For the waxing stage... the furniture resto guys all seem pretty sold on using a 'straight' carnuba wax. They also seem pretty much in agreement to not use a combined wax and polish for the final shining effort.

At this point it looks like I will probably be doing the polishing and shining myself. If I end up screwing things up... I will only have my lack of talent to blame But I think things will work out well as long as I take my time and don't try to rush the polishing and wax stage.

So that is the game plan so far... and it will probably go down on Saturday, Aug 19th. Pictures will be available at the end of the process...

Last edited by Marq; 08/09/06 01:39 AM.