Quote:

Hi

where do you get the hardener ?

can you get hardener for Rustoleum ?

can you use another companies hardener with rustoleum ?

I want to use Rustolium with the hardener to do the bottom of my old pick-up, its too much trouble to do 7-8 coats and wetsand it while on your back !

And no one will really see it anyway , its both for covering it all in one color and protection from rusting later.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive !

Beaulieu

You can get the hardener from most tractor supply outfits...you could also try the hardener used for Synthetic car paint, since they are both alkyd enamels. I've heard of people using different brand hardeners with rustoleum, but I've never tried it so I can't say for sure how well it works. I can't see why it wouldn't though.

For the underside of your truck, you shouldn't have to do more than a couple of coats, and I wouldn't bother wet sanding. Here's some pics of the floor of my '60 Olds after I welded in a new panel:

You can see the primer flowed out well enough...I just painted it on straight out of the can with a brush. Here's what it looks like painted:

The bottom I did with two coats of flat black mixed about 6:1 with hardener, brushed on. The red was applied the same way. As long as what you're painting under there is reasonably flat, the paint will look fine without any sanding. I put in a lot of work on that floor, doing it right. Here's how it started:

I may be the only person who ever sees it, but at least I know it's done right. If you do decide to use the hardener, please read some of our past posts on it, and using it safely.