Quote:

For what it is, Brightsides is pretty decent paint. But it won't hold up as
successfully as Awlgrip.
>>

So... just a little more food for thought. Haven't looked into Awlgrip, but seeing that Marq mentioned it too, that might be something to look into.

From what I gathered as I surfed the various boater message boards, the discussions comparing Brightside versus AWLGrip reminded me a lot of folks arguing about their preference for Coke versus Pepsi.

The only real difference that tended to come out of the discussions was that :
a) AWLGrip cost much more then Brightside.
b) AWLGrip was argued to be 'harder' when fully cured than Brightside.
c) Brightside was considered easier to apply for the 'Do It Yourselfer'
d) Brightside was considered far more forgiving and self-correcting
e) AWLGrip delivered its best performance and appearance when SPRAYED...

Possibly AWLGrip may become the 'third' step up in our selection of potential paints for doing budget home paint jobs

I just wasn't ready to part with the cash that it would have cost to experiment with the AWLGrip.

Neither paint was the clear winner in the boater discussions and arguments for each were fairly strong. In the end it all reminded me of folks arguing about Coke and Pepsi

Possibly the Rustoleum / Tremclad would be the RC Cola in their discussions...

Based on everything that I read... I do have the feeling that MOST boaters would 'prefer' to have AWLGrip on their boats - but COST seems to be the deciding factor that ultimately persuaded them to make use of Brightside. And that reminded me of people who like SONY televisions... but are willing to settle for Panasonics because the quality is similar - but the others are all 'cheaper' costwise compared to the Sony.

Last edited by Marq; 06/30/06 06:50 PM.