Kenzo,

I started down the route to spray a car myself. I borrowed one compressor and it was not enough then another and it was still on the edge. Trying to setup a garage to paint (without being turned in to the police) and then wait on the weather and then pull the trigger all at once and if any problems then WAIT and do it all over again - is a pain.

I also called around my area and tried to rent a booth, and then went as far as to see if Maaco would just spray my paint ($250 worth of paint and reducer that I had purchased originally for this car.) and they refused. Plus in doing in my garage, the prep work for getting it ready to spray is A LOT (wet and dry floor, full masking of car, masking of areas of my garage I did not want painted etc.) Plus the cost of a good gun is about $100-$150 and then the air compressor. Now lets say that I have all the equipment and my garage is set to go, now I STILL need to purchase lacquer thinner to clean out my gun, charcoal respirator (disposable), and the paint cost as mentioned above.

I was 90% there and then found this thread. I had borrowed two air compressors, had a friend with a nice gun that was going to spray it and had purchased the paint. Then the weather turned (rain, lower temps.) and we waited for 2-3 weeks and could not get the right combination of weather and my friends time. In the mean time I read all of this thread and went at it. I returned the air compressors, am sending back the paint.

In the end even if I had sprayed the car - if I was going to wet sand I would be in the same position that I am now - polishing.

This method is first of all CHEAP!!!! Secondly you can do it any time at your own pace (just a fender etc.). This is not a flame, just telling everyone my experience and why I chose this method. Hope this helps!

Mike