Quote:

[edit: by the way, I see now one of my dogs decided to make a cameo in the picture]

I'm in agreement with your dog... that paint looks delicious.

Exit, I shared your observations several months back with the soft paint results (laying on too thick). It eventually DID harden to a rock solid finish (Sunrise Red - not the professional line). I had done 4 heavy coats and wetsanded coats 2 and 4. I let it sit for a while because of frustration over the softness and have lurked here ever since, seeing guys come up with some pretty good stuff.
A couple of weeks ago I hit the panel with 3M machine glaze on a right angle buffer for just a bit and the stuff really took on a shine. I then hit it with 3M scratch remover and am really impressed with the results. In retrospect I could have taken the finish lower on the final wetsand to be more smooth, but the stuff looks great.

BTW, guys I found the good stinky mineral spirits at Advance Auto Parts. It's from Duplicolor and labeled Paint Thinner, but says 100% Mineral Spirits ( See Here). It's not the "safe" kind found at Wal-Mart.