Marq -
Quote:

When you reach the final coat of paint and are satisfied that you have good coverage and appearance, I believe that you should wait one, two, three or four weeks before doing the final wetsand, compounding, polishing and waxing.

Wow, that's quite awhile! I finished most of the car, but I have to do some touch up work on the hood. I was going to get out the 2000 and buffing compound this weekend though, a mere 3 days after painting. All the other coats have had a long time in between coats, at least 5 days per overcoat.

Cyberbackpacker -
Quote:

I checked brightside and they don't really have an orange that I found. Plus the cheapest marine store around here wanted $37 a quart, and with my Jeep Cherokee I figure I am going to need a good 3 quarts at minimum (doing door jambs, underneath hood, inner hatch, etc.)

I have put 4 coats on my 240SX (3 door fastback, in case you're unfamiliar) and thus far I've used probably 1 and 1/3 cans. I bought 2, so I've still got some room for touchups and to fix any OOPS oversanding

Remember guys, IMHO the most important thing in a paint job is the prep work. You can get shine from a rattle can, if you work with what's under it beforehand. Brightside just happens to be longer lasting. I personally sanded with 1000 wet after each coat, and you can spend an hour on each panel. It's that kind of attention to detail that really shows at the end. Evvvvvvvvveryone was a skeptic in the beginning, now all my housemates tell me how good my "new car" looks. Great opportunity to cheaply go after a few nagging rust spots, and repaint the whole thing also. Now guys in Audi TT's, WRX STis and Evos look at ME, cause I've got the clean, stock look on a 16 year old daily driven import car in a world of loud mufflers and huge rims (with small brake drums ). It pays to be in the know!