I have a question regarding mixing this paint. After discussing this paint method with my father-in-law, he was at the local Menards and decided to buy the paint for me. He called and asked me what color, and I told him I wanted a dark midnite blue....a very dark royal blue that was almost black. He said according to their paint chips they had that color in something called 'After-midnite Blue', so I told him to go ahead and get that mixed up. I got it home and am trying out the whole procedure on one fender before committing myself to doing the whole vehicle. However, what was supposed to be a VERY dark blue is more of a medium blue/violet...it's definitely NOT dark enough. I mentioned to someone who knows automotive paint that I was going to pick up a quart of black and mix it in to darken it up, but he said not to, that if I mixed black in it would turn greyish. He said that I'd need to use maroon/violet hues to darken it up.

However, it just seems to me that it's already TOO violet, and I can't see where mixing in more violet is going to make it look less violet. So what can I mix in with this to substantially darken it up?

Here's a picture of the '67 Ford F100 fender I painted. The purplish hue isn't really evident here, though I tried taking pictures from several different angles and differing lighting conditions to try to bring it out for the photos, it wouldn't work. Rest assured that it's much more purplish in appearance than what this pic shows.

So what do I have to do to substantially darken this up, or should I just try to get a remix from scratch?

Last edited by FORDification; 08/06/06 11:56 AM.