Quote:

I watched the video and I understand it doesn't need to be thinned and that after it is rolled following it with a clean roller to smooth it out was effective. My question is how much paint do you load on the initial roller.

In the video they tend to lay the paint on thick... almost like they are in a rush to get the boat back into the water. But I think for the purposes of looking good on a car body we need to lay the paint on thinner and build up our layers smoothly.

With the boat guys... they slap on two coats of paint and they are basically done. They rely on the ultra smooth surface of the fiberglass boat and the self leveling qualities od the paint to give their smooth shiny high gloss surface.

But I think their methods mean the boat has to cure much longer to reach maximum hardness.

As well they don't tend wet sand or polish their paintjobs..

When I went to apply a layer using Brightside... I loaded the roller up and then worked the roller in the tray for a moment to remove some of the excess. When you go to lay on your first rolling you will see the level of coverage that is is laying down. You do not want a thick layer ( as if you were painting a wall with a thicker layer )

Instead you are trying to achieve coverage without excess. So... it is okay when you lay down the first layer or subsequent layers to be able to see through the paint. It will almost seem like you are trying to slowly tint the car towards the color you are trying to achieve.

The thinner layer will cure faster and greatly reduce the chances of orange peel later.

In a way the Brightside paint is something like the T/R painting... in that the thinner the layer you lay... the better. But even a thin layer of Brightside is going to equal up to multiple layers of Tremclad/Rustoleum because I think the Brightside has more 'solids' in the paint... ( something in the 45% to 55% rate )

Ideally... you should lay down one thin layer and give it plenty of time to cure... 24 hours would be ideal.

Now... one thing I noticed is that you should have a can of the Interlux Brushing Thinner ( ketone ) which they sell specifically for folks like us who are brushing and rolling. I found that for my car and Fire Red Brightside.. that by adding some of their thinning agent to my paint helped me to lay a thinner layer that alloed me to work it out longer with the 'secondary roller'. In fact if you splash in enough of the thinner... the Brightside will act like the Rustoleum/Tremclad.. in that the bubbles tend to become MORE SELF POPPING.

The easiest answer will ultimately be to do some test rolling with the Brightside ( maybe on the inside of a trunk lid or whatever ) to get a feel for the coverage and amount of paint that you should be laying with each layer.

Quote:

Also, Planing on doing Door Jambs, Trunk & Hood with Rustolium Spray Bombs (I'm painting the car gloss white) Any problems with that?

You will have no compatibility problems using the Tremclad/Rustoleum spray bombs in those areas. That is how I did my car... T/R Fire Red spray bombs on the hard to reach spots and the Brightside Fire Red on the outer body surfaces