Quote:

Marq: have you tried using a clear coat over the Brightside? Also ... do you have some more pics of your completely finished projects?

I am always pleased to share my last photo-session with the McLaren Mustang...

http://www.snpx.com/AugWaxedMcLaren

Now... on the topic of a 'clear coat'. I believe that it could be done.. BUT I don't think I would recommend it. And I would probably give the very same reason as Charger gives for not suggesting it for the Tremclad/Rustoleum.

It is a question of future repairs. Let us say you have a car that only has a highly polished and waxed paint job. If you get it scratched through some minor accident all you would have to do is lightly sand the area down, wipe it down with mineral spirits and then roll on some new paint over the repaired area. And the beauty of the polyurathane is that it is 'purposely designed' to chemically merge with the previous polyurathane paint.

Now... IF you had clear coated the Brightside paint job the task of doing a less obvious repair is much more difficult. You have to sand down the clear coated area, roll on the paint to the repaired area and then lay on a clear coat to that area. I really think that you would have problems getting the repair to blend in.

The car after compounding, polishing and waxing has 'the wet look'... so I can't see any reason to lay a clear coat skin over it.

But overall, I would say that once you have done a Brightside roll job, I don't think you would see a need for a clear coat. Polyurathane is already a highly glossy and shiny surface... and that is what Brightside is. In fact I could probably have STOPPED after the final layer of paint was put on and the shine from that final layer would have looked 100% acceptable. It had that wet shiny look.... ( as would a polyurathane paint job from a pro-paint shop. )

In all my readings of the marine and boating threads... I never once saw anyone saying that Brightside wasn't shiny or glossy enough OR that it could use a clear coat to boost its shine up.

YET we in the automotive scene do something that the boaters don't do... and that is we can take our paint jobs to a higher level of shine by doing the wet sanding, compounding, polishing and waxing.