Yes, it's a '72 belonging to the kid. His grandfather (maternal) gave him the car on his 16th birthday. One owner. My dad gave me a F&#@&*& Timex.
This paint is 2 years old now and still looks like new. Better in fact, because it's been waxed a few times. It's nearly perfect. A product of an always garaged straight body to begin with and 2 1/2 gallons of sanded primer ($80 a gallon) over bare metal. The paint is PPG Dodge PR4. Dodge truck "Flame Red". PPG clear in copious amounts. Wet sand with 1500 except some small sections of orange peal, with 1200, then 1500. Then the whole car with 2000. 3M compound on an air buffer with coarse foam pad, then again with the same compound and a soft foam pad.
Jr. and I stripped the car but found a guy who would remove and replace front and back glass for $50. It's the glued in type and we were already biting off more than we could chew.
Vinyl top came off, rust under it welded, entire car to bare metal. Doors off, rebuild hinges windows removed. Interior removed (except dash), headliner out, sand blasted roof on inside and floorboards and sprayed with truck bed liner.
Outside was primed, sanded, primed, sanded, primed, sanded...etc. Less than a cup of body filler on whole car.
I got tennis elbow sanding and drank about five cases of beer.

You guys are getting phenominal results with quality enamel and basic application methods. Like the ONEBADBIRD said, how long it will look good is a question. I think up there in Canada you will have better luck than here in Florida where it gets baked every day. Jr. doesn't have a garage and commutes every day (for now). He tries to put the cover on at the apartments, but you know how that goes.

What is your application technique? No primer? I read some of this thread and see brushes and rollers????? Wouldn't a Wagner sprayer work better?

dave
florida