Ok... some quick answers to a bunch of questions....

- Forget about ValSPAR... it will always remain too soft to be practical on a car. My wife used the Valspar products to refinish two sets of dresser drawers. It is beautiful but soft ( even 5 years after she did it ).

- I painted the WHOLE CAR tonight. I was very excited by the test patches. It turned out amazing for one coat. The gloss of the entire body will blind you

- I used the BRIGHTSIDE straight out of the can without cutting it with their thinning product #333.

- You roll it just like you would the Tremclad. Then, when you finish a section and you take your foam 3 or 4 inch brush and lightly brush over the entire surface. You will know when you are using the right pressure when the bubbles all disappear magically after just one pass of the brush.

I will try to take pictures by Saturday. I should have been able to wet sand the current coat and laid on the 2nd coat. I believe you will fall in love with what this stuff is doing.

- The only thing I noticed tonight is that I was putting about 1/3 of a can into my tray. By the time I had worked my way around to using most of that allotment of paint, it had begun to thicken - having evaporated from the tray the solvents. You can tell when the tray needs to be refreshed with a fresh bunch of paint when the paint you are applying to the car does not pop the bubbles as easily when you run the foam brush over it. Add some fresh paint to your tray and things will begin working just like when you began.

- The coverage of the paint over the body did prove to be better than the thinned out Tremclad. The Brightside was able to do a fairly decent job of covering up the white, black and red colors on the prepared body surface.

- I am not sure if they have spray cans for this product. I seem to think that I read somewhere that they did... but I know the marine store where I picked up my quarts did not have a spray version... just the liquid form. I guess that is because more of the boat guys do the 'roll and tip' method. The other reason might be that it is a health hazzard spraying this type of paint. You will notice that Interlux even says " if you want to sprary this stuff then contact us directly for more information ".

- Exit... do me a favor ( and yourself ) and locate even just one can of Brightside to experiment with. Because it is a poly finish it is automatically closer in chemical structure to the automotive paint of the same type. Therefore the finish polishing would be exactly the same as if you had the car sprayed with MAACO's top of the line paint. I think if we can get you to play with this stuff you will defect over to the Brightside camp. And as my full painting of the car tonight proved.. the Tremclad underneath presented no problems to the application of this Brightside paint over it. So all your Rustoleum work will not be lost. But most of all... you are probably in the best position to confirm my observations about using this stuff.

Heck... if they had an ORANGE Brightside paint I suspect that even Charger might try a little experiment with this stuff just to check out its ease of application and highly glossy results.

- And a message to that guy who was having a problem convincing his parents about a 'roller paint job'. Your parents had concerns about 'fade' of the Rustoleum / Tremclad method. I think you should have no problem convincing them about the merits of the BRIGHTSIDE paint. Since the paint is designed to be put on boats - which in most cases are worth a HECK OF A LOT MORE than our cars.. and those boats are exposed to the elements etc... the fade factor is a non-factor for this boat paint. Hope this helps you to convince them and put their minds at ease...

marq

Last edited by Marq; 06/29/06 09:34 PM.