One thing I am curious about for the chaps that have been polishing their Tremclad paint jobs...

From what I gather the original recipe for this process called for using the cheapest type of Turtlewax. The key being that it was to produce a shine but not contain much in the way of abrasives.

Now I know that most polishes contain varying amounts of abrasives in order to micro-grind the oxidized layers of paint to reach a paint layer that is free of oxidation etc.

Now... since we are talking about brand new paint that has been wet sanded with 2000 grit paper, I would tend to think that no abrasives whatsoever would be better than one that contains any abrasives ?

Would a straight carnuba wax with no abrasives not be better at creating a shine without adding further abrasion to the paint surface ?

My other thought is that a clear wax as compared to the white and pasty wax might give a better shot at not having a foggy haze appear after waxing. I would have to think that some of these white pasty waxes are leaving remnants behind in the paint. And although they may be relatively clear when initially done, they would tend to whiten as they dry out ?

If that is correct then the more clear the wax... then possibly the better for reducing the chances of a fog appearing later.

Another wax that might be good is the colored wax that is available in the primary colors. I know there is a black, red, brown, gray, yellow and green. Possibly this wax might have a better chance at cutting down on the whitish fog.

I guess when the time comes I will spend a little more time researching the zillion types of waxes that are available at the store.

But for some reason I am thinking that the more expensive carnuba wax ( with no abrasives ) would probably be the best for this particular surface.

Dunno... some of you polishing pros might have a better insight in this...

And I guess we really have to look at the quality of the polishing and buffering pads used on the polisher. There are some polishing pads that probably are harsh enough to create micro-abrasions in the Tremclad paint ( especially if the paint hasn't fully cured ).

For example, I would definitely not use a used or washed buffer or polishing pad on my polisher. I would tend to think that a virgin pad ( of higher quality ) might be the ticket for reducing the chances that the pads might do any harm to the Tremclad paint...

All these thoughts about waxing and polishing are making me more tempted to consider the Clearcoat method ( if we can get some feedback that it works and is compatible with the layers of Tremclad paint that it goes on...

I did take a look at Home Depot and Canadian Tire today and unfortunately neither of them were stocking the clear coat except in the aerosol spray bombs...

Last edited by Marq; 06/14/06 11:45 PM.