Ok, here it is...the fender I did the test on:

You can see all the crap I painted over...cracking bondo, 5 year old primer that's flaking off, rust, dirt... I did exactly ZERO surface prep before I painted this thing.

Here's the result:

Do you think anyone would believe me if I told them I painted it with a brush? And keep in mind that this is after a single wet sand with 400 grit paper, and a polish with the cheapest paste I could find. To be honest, the 400 grit was too agressive, and I did go through in a few spots (you can see them in the full length pic). 600 would have been better, but I only had a half hour to dink with it and I know 400 will wipe out orange peel in a big hurry. Doing it the way I did, you get full coverage on the first coat. A second or third coat may be needed if you have to take too much off to clean up any impecfections. Other than that...piece of cake! Waiting a week or more to wet sand may help...it'll be cured nice and hard by then. OTOH, you might be able to do it the next day...someone with more time than me can experiment .

Anyway, there it is. I couldn't be more impressed with it given the fact I have a 1/2 hour into the whole process.