Quote:

this may have already been answered, but way too much to read through at this point, but here goes. My brother wants to use this on his dodge rampage, which has the plastic front nose. The truck will be driven year round including canadian winters, so we're wondering if the paint will flex enough for plastic and not develop those stress cracks that the paint on some used plastic body panels have.

Since I have used both the Tremclad/Rustoleum and the Brightside paint... I will take a shot at this question.

I don't think you have to worry about the flex of these paints when applied as per the Charger 'thinned out' method.

The skin being left on the car parts is very thin. This allows it more flex then say a straight coated paint job which might be up to 5 times thicker when cured.

My first thought when I read the question was this... most factory paint jobs are prone to cracking (spidering type cracks) when the plastic is flexed beyond a 'certain point'.

Normally when a body part reaches that 'certain point' of flex it is the plastic itself that is going to crack.

Overall... I would suggest that either of the paints would provide equal or better ability to withstand 'reasonable' flexing of the plastic body parts when compared against a factory paint job.

My McLaren has a very flexible front bumper/aero effects and rear bumber/aero effects. I have layers of both Tremclad and Brightside paint on them. I have no qualms or fears that this will be an achilles heel or weakpoint of this paint job.

Last edited by Marq; 08/02/06 03:07 AM.