Quote:

Hey Marq, when you are you going to show us your polished Brightside paint? I know you waiting for it to cure more...

The job is all done and I have been busily driving the car at every opportunity. I will try to snap some pictures this Saturday and post them up. Funniest thing is that I don't really expect anyone to be able to detect much difference in the appearance compared to the other 42 pics that I previously put onto the server.

The most significant difference between the final coat of Brightside and the wet sanded, compounded, polished and wax version is TOUCH. The paint on the car is now SMOOOOOOOOOOOTH to the touch. Slippery smooth... If you put something on the car body it slides off. You can't rest anything on the car or it will slide off and fall to the ground. Even the six pound Cable & Porter polisher went sliding to the ground when I left it lying on the car Many times the tub of Turtle Wax compounding product and bottles of Meguiars went for that slippery ride down the hood or trunk on a slipper ride, But probably the most interesting 'slippery' event was when I placed a fresh polishing rag on the hood of the car and gravity pulled it down the hood - there was no resistance to hold it in place on the hood. I was impressed because I have never been able to get a hood that slippery smooth.

Quote:

I think we all would like to see the outcome using this type of paint. Right now I'm still deciding wether to use Tremclad with a clear coat ontop or just Brightside. Only thing holding me back from Brightside is that the finish doesn't last long from what I've read in the past posts. How is yours holding up since you layed it down?

I have no qualms at all at laughing at anyone who tries to say the Brightside paint doesn't last long. It's made FOR BOATS... it's made to be exposed constantly to the sun. It's made to have the bodies of young ladies scantilly clad in just bikini's lying on it. It is a paint designed specifivally for the TOP PART of boats... where it gets things bounced off it, placed on it, dragged over, chemicals SPILLED on it ( like gas, oil, sun tan lotion etc ) it etc etc.

Bottom line is that this single stage polyurathane is a close and true relative of automotive paint. The main difference is that it is designed for boat owners to 'roll' with 5 inch rollers ON THEIR OWN PERSONAL WATERCRAFT.

Anyhow... I have discussed previously my experiences with the compounding, polishes and waxes that I used.

The only update I can add to that previous posting is that I also made use of the Turrle Wax brand compounding product. The brown muddy stuff in a tub. I liked it. It worked just as well as the more expensive 3M Perfection III compounding product. At some points I was even mixing the two products on the fly while compounding a surface. It seems the Turtle Wax compound product gives you more time to work with the product before it goes dry.

But from what I have seen and experienced there are two ways to go with the Brightside paint job :

a ) if you have successfully laid down a smooth and glossy final coat of paint... you might wish to stop at that point and live with that finish for a month. It will give the paint time to reach maximum hardness... but more importantly you will save yourself all the work of wetsanding, compounding and waxing. But please note that YOU CAN go to wet sanding and compounding within 24 hours of that final coat of paint being applied.

b ) if your final coat of Brightside gives you anything less then what you were hoping for... then breakout out the wet sanding and go from 1000, to 1500 to 2000. Then go for a compounding with the Turtle Wax compound product to rejuvenate the shine that was lost during the wetsanding. Once you have reached that level of shine from the compounding... go to the waxing stage. As previously noted... I had my best luck with Meguiars pure Carnuba and Meguiars High Tech wax. The 'High Tech' wax is a polymer and so it was more successful at giving the paint a deeper and darker look. The Carnuba wax was better at developing a high gloss.

I will take this opportunity to again pizz on the Turtle Wax ICE. It looked amazing for the first 10 seconds that it was applied on the paint - something like how amazing the finish looks when you wet it down with solvent to clean the car. But just like the solvent the paint goes back to its dull look once the Turtle Wax ICe evaporates. I was not impressed with that product.

Ok.... so nuff said for the moment. I will try to snap pics and post them this Saturday

Last edited by Marq; 08/24/06 09:35 PM.