Quote:

Also Chuck,if it peels like latex after 6 months then you have a surface prep issue at the very least.

I had the very same thought. And that might also explain the discoloring that he experienced with his white paint job.

When he mentioned his white paint job 'yellowed' my first thought was that 'something' on the body was 'bleeding' into his fresh paint. The solvents of the fresh paint job were causing 'whatever' was on the lower surface to be released and affect the fresh white paint.

After all, the area of the car where he was experiencing these discolorations were the nooks and crannies like the door jambs etc. These are probably the most UNLIKELY spots on the car where proper surface preparation would happen. People simply don't go in to those nooks and crannies to sand down those surface or wipe them down prior to painting.

I didn't notice him mentioining these discoloration problems appearing on the body - because he apparently removed the body paint and it never got to the discoloration stage.

And the fact that he mentions the paint peeled also backs up the apparent problem with the subsurface not being prepped properly. There obviously had to be something between the subsurface and the fresh layer of paint.

The last thing that I really don't understand about Chucks problem 'paint job' is how he says that the paint can't be removed easily or creates a mess when you attempt to remove it. My experience with the Tremclad - and the Brightside - is that it HARDENS - and that it removes JUST AS EASILY as any other paint job WITH A SANDER. The stuff sands off without any problem.

HOWEVER... if he slathered the paint on thick I can see that it might not have hardened when he attempted to remove it. YES... I can see 'soft paint' being a '[Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean]' to remove. It would be a pain to sand off and it would be a paint to sandblast or beadblast off. But that is a problem with trying to remove the paint prior to it having hardened - and that is the same problem you would encounter if a professional shop had just sprayed the car and you rushed in there and started trying to sand it off - soft paint is a '[Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean]' no matter what type of paint you use.

Chuck likes to challenge how many 'successful' paint jobs there have been. But I think the shoe should be on the other foot... and we should be actually asking 'how many other tales of woe - like Chucks' have there been ? The tales of woe are few and far between here. One would expect that people who have destroyed their car bodies or had horror stories would have been lining up here to share their experiences and problems. YET... instead we hear the success stories.

It all reminds me of the mother who is watching a parade of soldiers marching by and she proudly proclaims that the soldier who is marching 'out of step' with all the other soldiers is her son and she can't understand why he is the only one marching correctly and that all the other soldiers are the ones that are out of step...

Dunno...