I am new here. No mopar, just here for the paint. Did own a Chrysler once though. I have spent my nights this week reading through the 75 pages. I just picked up a small can of Regal Red and quart of Glidden Ultrahide alkyd/enamel, tinted to a goldish color. The gold is to cover a primed door on my Lancia Scorpion. The red is mainly to play with, to see how well I can make it shine. I like the color, but it is darker than I was looking for.

Exit, I have been pulling for you this whole time. What is your current status? I may be a little help when it comes to getting that perfect shine. I have spend many hours wet sanding and buffing crappy bc/cc paint jobs. The key seems to be not skipping grits. If you do your final wet sand with 1500, follow it up with 2000. After the 2000, follow it up with several stages of buffing compounds. I have had good luck with the 3M stuff from NAPA. You also have to match the buffing pad to the grit of buffing compound you are using. I don't remember the details, but each type of pad has its own purpose. I'm sure you can google it. With enough work and the right technique, I am 100% sure you can make this paint look every bit as good as a show quality job.

I have bc/cc's 3 cars to date. It sucks! It stinks, it's messy, and it's hard to get a good paint job without lots of experience. I had to wet sand and buff each of them. Lots of orange peel. Like people have noted several times, try to find a really nice stock paint job. Not many of them out there. The thing about bc/cc paint jobs, is they shine even through moderate orange peel. The metal flake hides it even more.

Chuck, come on man. You OBVIOUSLY didn't follow directions. You're right, its the paints fault. You're just the only one the paint doesn't like. If its soft, you put it on too thick and it couldn't dry before your next coat or it was thin enough but you added more layers before it had dryed enough. And seriously, your body shop guy, do you really think he is going to give you good information when you tell him "Yeah, I just found out that I can paint my car for $50 in my garage and get better results than what you would charge me $3000 for. What do you think?"...

If it ever stops raining (Ernesto), I will show you guys how well that red can shine.

Good Luck

Jason