Quote:

About to start painting my land rover, although Ive read all the posts there are a few things I cant remember.

How much brightside should I buy?

It does need primer right, is it better to buy a brightside primer or shall I use an auto primer?

What does brightside need to be thinned with?

What spec of electric polisher do I need?

Please don't take this the wrong way but a boat that is 6.1 m long, 1.5 m wide and 1 m high should require 2.6 litres of paint for 2 coats. So land rover should need a max of 2 litres for 2 coats, and probably less than that in reality.

The International Boat Painting and Product guide also recommends the PREKOTE primer before using Brightside. Personally though I have found that well sanded factory paint also works well under Brightside.

According to the paint tin, Enamel Thinners #1 should be used (if needed) at temps typically below 18 C and Brushing Thinners #6 at higher temps. But since the paint contains Mineral Spirits/Turpentine and White Spirits at 300g/litre, you could also use the Mineral Spirit/turpentine as a thinner which is what I used.

There are two main types of electric auto polishers available. The first is a Rotary polisher and the specs for a decent rotary are something like 600 rpm to 3000 rpm and around 1200 watts. The second type of polisher (although it is usually sold as a sander) is a Random Orbital polisher. A good RO should have specs similar to the following, 3000 opm to 7000 opm and around 750 watts.

But the important thing about a polisher isn't the polisher so much as the type/grade of polishing pad that is used. For instance a Rotary Polisher with a lambswool polishing pad at full speed will attack your paint about as fast as sandpaper (especially in inexperienced hands). But the same polisher at say 2000 rpm with a light cutting pad or even a polishing pad will flatten the paint out really nicely. Basically a Random Orbital polisher is a much safer (but slower) option than a Rotary polisher.