Quote:

So I have been reading this thread for awhile and thought I would chime in. I read the first 30 pages on the first thread, and about 20 from here. Im but one man!

I have a nissan 240sx that came white from the factory. Ive been planning on painting the car white but the roof black. Ive done some painting on my car and thought I would post some findings.
Personally I am not a big fan of the idea of rolling it on, to me it seemed like it would be alot more work so I decided to spray from a gravity fed gun. The amount of time taping is easily comparable to 1 wetsanding run....

Ive done it a few times now. First time I hadnt read the ENTIRE around and went gung ho, I painted with laquor thinner made with mineral spirits, not pure. Paint went on fine, was glossy and I was fairly impressed with the results.... until the paper blew over on top of my job :-(
After it dried I wetsanded it down, The sanding was fine a few hours afterwards, but when I went to complete it a few days later I noticed some of the paint would roll off into little balls since it hadnt dried fully. No its not an adhesion problem because the top was a thick skin, and the bottom layer was fully adhered, there was just softer paint in the middle. I was able to very carefully and lightly sand it down with a less aggressive piece of paper. I shot a second time over that only this time I cut it with acetone. I can tell you cutting it with acetone definitely made a difference in the gloss/clarity. It also seems to be hardening better/quicker. I would dare to say I compare this to a bc/cc job looking at it from the side. It looks virtually unchanged from wet to dry. Perhaps actually cutting with acetone is the way to go? (hell its what they write on the [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] can)
Maybe other things can be done for you roller guys to increase workable time? perhaps applying it in a cold environment then heating the garage and cooking it on?

My end results are fairly impressive, I did this in a real autobody shop (father runs one) but I wanted to do it on my own, my own bill, my own materials because it can rack up quick... and Im selling the car. however I did run into 1 problem. When putting some body filler on a small ding... I wetsanded it smooth, then applied a light coat of sealer before painting and I had some seriously screwed up fish eye. Looked like a brain on my roof. I wanna say in retrospect it was stupidity with wetsanding the body filler but it might have been a reaction to the sealer. My surfaces so far have all been cleaned with legit prep solvent, not mineral spirits or anything else. So far so good though!

Did you use Rustolium/Brightside/Tremclad?

If cutting it with acetone gives it more of a shine, then I'm willing to take that route. Has anyone used acetone without any ill effects?