Quote:

Trikar that is one SWEEEEETTTT lookin' Ranchero! Could you go more into detail as to how you did that wood grain effect? (Show some closeups too!)

The outer trim was painted blue when I got the car, so if you have painted squire trim and think that you need to replace it to make the trim look like wood again, well you don't, you can easily make it look like stock again, which is what I did at first and it was so easy to do that I decided to do the trim how I thought it should look and if I did not like it I could always change it back to a stock looking wood finish. I first painted the entire body of the car with the Dark Green that I created by mixing 2 parts Rustolium Gloss Hunter Green, 2 parts mineral spirits, and one part Rustolium gloss black which was applied with a 4 inch roller. I then painted the inset area where the vinyl wood grain use to be, with Rustolium Summer Squash yellow. It is a light yellow color.
next I applied Minwax Polyshade Old Maple gloss with a nylon bristle bush. doing one panel at a time. Don't buy the cheap nylon brushes, they shed way too much when applying stain! I then did the trim in much the same way as the body grain, I applied the Summer Squash first and then I brushed on Minwax polyshade Bombay Mahogany gloss. All the trim was painted and stained while removed from the car and then re installed after all painting and staining was completed. I'm sorry the pictures are not any better. My good camera is not working so I bought a $10.00 digital from Rite-Aid drug store just so I could at least have some pictures until I get my other camera working again. Every time I tried to get a good close up of the grain the pictures just would not show it. I think the car looks much better than what shows in these pictures. Everything I did paintwise to this Ranchero I learned from this thread, which I have been following since it was only three pages. The only other thing I painted using this technique before painting the Squire was a shell to another Ranchero of mine that I did as a tester. There is also a very good link for Squire trim restoration that I obtained from this thread and used.
http://www.rickwrench.com/wood.html
Thank you everyone that contributes to this thread, you have been a great source of information for me!