Quote:

The orange peel on the hood, roof, & trunk is getting more pronounced with time.
I haven't done a final colorsand/buff with 1500 yet but it's to the point that I wonder if 1500 will be enough to knock it down.
It's shiny
I don't want to lose that trying to get it flat.
Do I need to sand it flat & paint another THIN coat or will wetsand/compound/buff/wax bring it back to this level?

You have a choice to make. If you keep putting paint on it without sanding it smooth the orange peel and those waves and ripples you see in the picture are going to keep getting more pronounced, as you have noticed. It is possible to get a very wavy and orange peely surface that is shiny. If that is what you want just keep painting. If you are happy with it now, just stop.

I know it is tempting to want to hold on to the shine, even when the surface is clearly not flat enough for a really nice job. At least it was for me, as well. However, the shine will come back each time you add a new coat to a smoothed surface, or after you wet sand then polish.

With my my tests I think 2-4 coats of Rustoleum without sanding the final coat look almost as good as a cheap Maaco paint job, if not better. They don't however look like a mirror until you do the proper sanding work.

Are you thinning your paint enough? I found that when I put my on too thick I ended up with the ripples you are seeing. I think I agree with you that you are probably not ready for 1500 until you get those ripples out, but I am only judging from the picture.

Last edited by smyrna5; 02/02/07 09:39 AM.