Quote:

Regarding the advice that you should not expose the final coat to any rain for a week, why is this?

With some of the Rustoleum/Tremclad paint jobs and that Australian equivalent to these anti-rust paints, some of the guys noticed that rain drops which dried on the curing paint left whitish artifacts in or on the paint. The discussion at the time was that the whitish artifacts might have been some kind of reaction between the h20 and gas that was evaporating from the paint as it dried.

On the Brightside paint, I also noticed that fresh paint would also show these whitish artifacts - but not to the degree that the other paints were having. With Brightside they could be rubbed out fairly easily. So it was basically a non-issue with the Brightside.

Quote:

Letting it set for 24 hours makes sense, but Brightside dries hard very quickly (IIRC Interlux quotes like 12 hour recoat times, or less). I've also heard that you shouldnt sand or polish the top coat for a week or so as well, is this true of Brightside as well?

When you are doing the wet sanding, you can proceed with that after 24 hours of the last application of paint. That is sufficient drying time for the Brightside as you are wetsanding.

When you reach the final coat of paint and are satisfied that you have good coverage and appearance, I believe that you should wait one, two, three or four weeks before doing the final wetsand, compounding, polishing and waxing. This ensures the paint is at a very good level of curing and that any gases trying to evaporate will have pretty well vented themselves. If you slap the wax on too soon it seals the surface and may trap some of the evaporating vapors - which may result in the waxing discoloring or losing its shine etc.