Quote:

Ok ... I talked to a technical guy at Top Secret Coatings:

http://www.topsecretcoatings.com/automotive_paint.htm

I'm going to be trying the TS-100 1-part epoxy.

He raves about the TS-100 1-part epoxy ... he says it has an "85-90%" gloss rating. Whereas most automotive paints have a 75% gloss rating. He says it will last a very very long time. Doesn't need a primer coat -- gan go right onto bare metal. Very good self-leveling. $84.00 per gallon. This is a new formula, and they are thrilled with it. He reeled off a long list of many industries using it -- military, etc. The one that stuck in my head is the fishing lure industry ... he says they can't get enough of it.

One thing to keep in mind, tho ... if you try to paint on top of TS-100, you might have compatibility problems, depending how the new paint is thinned. If it uses mineral spirits-type of thinner, it will be fine. But their TS-2 2-part polyurethane would have a bad reaction.

Their TS-2 (2-part polyurethane) is tougher. Costs $103.00 per gallon. Contains Isocyanates. But has slightly lower gloss than the TS-100 epoxy and doesn't self-level as well.

Their TS-4 urethane reinforced alkyd seems to be similar to Interlux Brightside ... he says it's much better than Rustoleum ... "A very good value for the money." He said this was a precursor to the TS-100.

Basically, every time I asked about any of their products, he ended up going back to TS-100 1-part epoxy. They are obviously very proud and excited about this product. It wasn't a sales pitch, it was obvious he believed in it.

I've got a quart of glossy white TS-100 coming, and I'll post results on this forum when I've had a chance to try it out.

Wow, Looks like I have stirred up a bee's nest with the top secret stuff. I'm glad you guys know enough about paint to ask the right questions to the tech people. I can hold my own when it comes to electronics and computers, but this fixing up cars thing is a new hobby for me. It still looks like I'm few weeks/months away from laying down any paint myself, so I'm just gonna continue reading and learning. I'll probably try one of the top secret paints when I finally get to that point, so I'll be really interested in any results you have before I start my experiments.

Last edited by Tony Counts; 03/20/07 01:33 PM.