Quote:

Quote:

Are you guys doing one body panel at a time? Do you recommend doing one body panel to completion and seeing how it looks and then doing the others all at once or one at a time? Obviously can't sand and paint at the same time.

I did the whole truck for each coat.
But I do recommend doing a sample panel before starting, I didn't and ended up with to thick of paint on first coat which I sanded off and started over.
The learning curve is very fast and easy though.

I agree completely also... I did the whole McLaren with each coat.

But I also agree that it is worthwhile to get a scrap door or trunk or whatever and practice your technique and your concoctions ( mixes ). This will help you get it worked out on some unimportant piece. When you move on to the full body per coat it will be a breeze.

Probably the best 'logic' for why you should do an entire vehicle in one coating session... is to ensure an eveness of the color for all the panels.

For example, lets say you do a panel at a time... you might have variances in your paint mixture. You might end up where you will see variances in the color between panels. But if the same paint is laid on an entire vehicle coating... then the whole car will have the same color.

Always remember that between 'lots' of paint there are variances in the color. I know when I was buying my Brightside paint, I deliberately picked and chose the cans with almost similar 'lot' numbers. You will find a fine print on the bottom of each can that identifies when that dye lot was prepared.

This is similar to balls of wool used for knitting. There are sometimes significant variances between the 'lot' or 'dye' numbers. And if you were knitting a sweater it is better to buy all your wool in one shot.. rather than get halfway though knitting that sweater and then having to go back to a store to buy additional wool to complete it. The odds are that the later purchased 'lot' of wool will not be identical to your initial lot.

Another variance in the paint can happen simply by the way you mix it up prior to using it. The paint pigments tend to settle. In the case of the Brightside Firered and the Tremclad Fire Red, a can of paint that has sat too long will show a slip of black floating around at the top when you first open the can. At the bottom of the can you will find a denser layer of 'solids' then say at the middle or top of the can. If you only do a half-a$$ stirring of one can and a thorough stirring of a second can, then you will inadvertently cause a variance in the end color.